Odesk is the one of the worlds best and largest online marketplace for freelance jobs. It’s a place where employers can post freelance jobs and freelance professionals like writers, designers, programmers and others can browse though them. Find the ones they want to work on and bid on them.
There are always new jobs being posted there by employers from all over the world looking for qualified freelancers from all over the world to complete them. Working on Odesk is a legitimate online money making opportunity and great way for someone to earn online for free and without any investment. However, not all become successful and start making significant amount of money here. There are a number of tips to help you if you are interested in making a living working on online freelance jobs.
- Don’t take working on Odesk very lightly. Odesk is a great online earning opportunity but only for those prepared to work hard and dedicate themselves to achieving success. If you don’t take your work on tasks seriously and deliver work with sufficient quality you will damage your reputation and in the long run your career as a Odesk contractor.
- Build your profile and pass some tests. Joining Odesk is free and to become a member all you need is a email and to fill out a form and provide your details. However Odesk welcomes members from all over the world which means there is a lot of competition from other freelancers who are bidding on same jobs. Because of this is not easy to get hired but you can increase your chances by creating a profile, show your previous work and passing tests. Odesk has many tests you can pass as a proof of your skills. There are test to test your skills in writing, editing, CAD design, grammar, resume writing etc. The tests involve select the correct answer from a number of available answers. A word of advice would be to always read the questions carefully before you answer. If you are not satisfied with your result you can retake them after a while.
- Begin by working on smaller tasks. There are many tasks on Odesk freelancers can bid on. There are tasks that pay a fixed amount for finishing and then there are tasks that pay an hourly wage for working on them. There are task that are paying large amount of work and require knowledge and experience to finish them. If you are not experienced you should start small by working on tasks that pay less but require less experience and time to finish. If you go straight for higher paying jobs and fail to deliver on time and according to clients expectation you will damage your reputation.
- Constantly improve your skills. To be successful you must ready to constantly improve your skills and knowledge. As your skills and experience grow you will be able to take on high paying jobs and finish them on time and according to clients demands, which in return will help in establishing your reputation and provide you with constant flow of work.
- Specialize on certain types of tasks. There are freelance jobs on Odesk grouped in many categories writing translation, logo design, website design and many others. A word of advice would be to focus in becoming an expert in one niche, and after you establish your reputation as an expert move on to another niche.
Being successful on Odesk is posible and you can even make full time income working on freelance jobs. However not many are successful because they fail to establish themselves as experts and build relationship with their clients. How well you will do depends first and foremost on yourself.