Google Adsense is a preferred method to make money with their website and content for many blogger, website owners and content publishers.
Blog and website owners need only to apply for Adsense account and once they are approved, all that is left to do is paste a code on their website and Adsense ads will start to show every time visitor comes to their website or blog. From that point on Google Adsense network takes care of finding advertisers and serving relevant ads and issuing payment to publishers.
Freelance writers who don’t own their own website can also start making money online with Adsense. They can write their articles or create other kind of content like video and upload them to Adsense revenue sharing websites. Compared to publishers who own their websites they have to share their profits from Adsense ads with the website where their content is published.
For written content they are article directories, and for videos there are video revenue sharing websites like Youtube. To make money from Adsense ads visitors need to click on ads and publishers earn certain amount of money depending on the niche and the location from where visitor comes.
When your publisher application is accepted is all you need to start making money with Adsense ads. But even after you become publisher you can have your publisher account being banned if you break Google’s terms of service. Here are some of the most frequent reasons why account s are being banned from Adsense network:
- Clicking on Adsense ads yourself. One of the thing that will almost certainly get your Adsense account banned is if you click on Adsense ads yourself. Adsense has ways of discovering if you or other members of your family are trying to increase your income by clicking on Adsense ads. Getting accepted as Adsense publisher is very difficult, but getting banned can happen very easily if you are caught doing this. Don’s even click on your ads out of curiosity but those will be considered fraudulent clicks and contributing to Google terminating your account. Your account will be terminated because Google is protecting it’s advertisers who pay for every click on their ads.
- Placing more than 3 Adsense ads on a single webpage. Once your publisher account has been approved you can insert Adsense code in your website or blog. Many publisher believe that the more ads they place on webpages more they will earn. However publisher can not place more than 3 banner ad units, 3 link units or 2 search boxes on their webpages. If you place too more ads on your webpages you risking your account to be suspended. Aside from the risk of having your account suspended, too many Adsense ads will make your webpages look unprofessional and the visitors may consider it annoying and start avoiding your site in the future.
- Placing ads from other networks that resemble Adsense ads. Google allows publishers o place advertisements from other ad networks like Chitika and affiliate links on your webpage as long as they do not resemble Adsense ads. If you decide to place ads from other networks use formatting and colors that will differentiate them from Adsense ads.
- Asking visitors to click on Adsense ads. Another mistake you can do that can have your Adsense account terminated is asking your visitors to click on the ads. Many publisher think they can get away with it, but Google has way to find if there is some kind of scheme in place to increase the number of clicks on Adsense ads.
- Altering Adsense code. Altering the Adsense source code is against the rules. Adsense ads are easy to customize by logging in your account and selecting the size and colors of background, borders text and link. After you have customized the your ads all that is left is to copy the coide and insert it in your blog or website. By altering the code any other way cause your ads to stop working.
- Publishing content that is not yours or against terms of service. Another mistakes you can do that can cause your account to be banned is by using content that is not created by you and you don’t have right to publish it on your site. This is same for both written content and also pictures videos, infographic, etc. Your account can also be banned if you publish forbidden content like for example pornography.
- Creating multiple accounts. Opening more than one account is against terms and when you are caught you will see all your account terminated one by one. You can use single Adsense account for all your blogs, websites and for your content published on revenue sharing websies
Other mistakes publishers make do not cause their accounts banned but can hurt their Adsense revenue. Just inserting code in your website or blog is not enough to maximize your adsense earnings. Here are some of the greatest mistakes that can hurt your revenue:
- Not using ad sizes that have highest CTR. Based on experience of many blog and website owners not all Adsense ad sizes perform equally well. The ad sizes with best click through rate and earnings per click are 336 x 280, 300 x 250, 729 x 90 and 160 x 600. You should make place for them on your webpage.
- Not customizing the ads to blend better in the webpage. Adsense ads can be customized by choosing the color of the border, text, links, background. You should customize the ads to blend better in the webpage by choosing same colors as your webpage. If your ads are of different colors that webpage they will stand out and visitors will ignore them knowing they are ads.
- Not placing the ads in the main content. Placing ads in the main content and above the fold will increase the click through rate and your Adsense revenue. The reason for this is because these are the spots where visitors look first when they come to your site.
- Not using only text ads. Adsense ads can display both image and text ads, but according to the experience of many publishers only text ads generate more revenue than image ads. The reason for this may be because people tend to ignore image ads knowing they are advertisement. However you should experiment and see what is more profitable for you
- Not using high paying keywords. The earnings per click from Adsense ads can be from few cents to few dollars. When writing your content you should include high paying keywords that will earn you more for every click. The difference between use of high paying and low paying keywords in terms of adsense revenue can be huge because if one keyword pays 5 cents per click other high paying keyword can pay 5 dollars. You can use Google Keyword Planner tool for free to find high paying keywords for your content.