Online auctions are used by many people today for making money online. Online sellers list their items on online auction websites like Ebay or on some of Ebay alternatives and sell them to the highest bidder. Selling on online auction website is fun way to make money online, but not all of the sellers succeed in selling their items and turning a profit. Here are some tips to help you maximize your earnings selling on online auctions.
- Find your niche. The first and most important thing for successful selling on online auction websites is to find your niche. Find products to sell that are not being sold by establish and large sellers to be competitive. There are department stores that are selling on online auction websites some types of items and individual sellers stand little chance to compete with them. Find your niche market where there is a demand and without strong competition.
- Do your research. Research everything that is associated to the auction website and the items you want to sell. Take a look at the prices of the similar items. How much is their starting price and how much to they sell for. What are terms and fees of the website of the website where you plan to list your items. The information you collect will help you determine how much profit you can expect to make by listing your items there and is this the best marketplace to sell your stuff.
- Select proper category for listing your items. To sell your items on online auctions depends first and foremost from your ability to find buyers who would be genuinely interested in buying your items. Items on auction websites are listed in various categories and when buyers search for things they want to buy the search by categories. Because of this take time to find the categories and subcategories that best suit your items. If you are not sure check in which categories are listed items that are similar to the ones you plan to sell. It is better to list your items in one category and one a subcategory, but you can list your items in more than one category or subcategory.
- Include photos in your listing. Including photos in your listing is one of the best tactics for successful selling on online auctions. It is said that picture speaks thousand words and this is especially true for online auctions. Your listing will attract the attention of potential buyers more if you include one or more photographs in the details and descriptions that any description you can write. Online buyers are more likely to bid on an item they can see how it looks like than just by reading the description. Online auctions have certain guidelines about the size and the format of the photographs, so make sure to check them out. When taking the photos of the items make sure not to choose background that will take viewers attention away from the item. Using flashy background will be counterproductive and it may only annoy buyers instead of representing your items.
- Write accurate description and provide all the details about the items you are selling. The description is along with the photographs the most important part of your listing. Because of this you should spend more time and effort to write the best description that will encourage potential buyers to start bidding. Every detail about the item should be included, no mater how more or less important it may seem to you. Description of the items listed for auction usually should have information about the weight, dimensions, age, color, design, texture and what is it used for. The description should also contain information about the condition of the item, are there any flaws or imperfections and if the item has any damages. If you don’t provide all the information about the item in the description than potential buyers may simply skip it and continue to look for similar items they can bid on or start sending messages asking you for additional information.
- Write catchy title for your listing. By placing a listing on online auction website your goal is for buyers who would be interested in buying your item to find it. The title of your listing is first thing the buyers notice. When searching the buyers will come across a number of listing. Because of this the title is your first and most important opportunity to advertise your item. Your title should be well crafted to compel the buyers click on it. Your title should be interesting and stand out from the rest. It should include only few words that will not take much space but drive attract attention. Title should contain keywords that will help buyers find your listings. The more keywords you include in your title the easier will be for buyers to find your listing. To research better which words to use check out older listings for item by other sellers. That will give you some ideas on how to write effective titles that will bring more clicks and more sales and better price as a result. To put it simply your title must convince buyers that your items is what they want without misleading or lying about it. Don’t use words that will misrepresent what you are selling. Some online advertising networks offer additional features like bolding or highlighting titles for an extra fee. You can use them to increase the exposure of your listing.
- Be honest about the items you are selling and shipping cost. The most important asset a seller on online auction website can have is your reputation. You can damage your reputation as a seller if your buyers are disappointed with you in some way. This can happen due to writing inaccurate description of your items and purposely not mentioning about some defects and flaws about your items. There are some sellers which for a purpose of making the sale of their item easier give description that is not incorrect. This may help them making their first sales but in the long run may ruin their reputation and their online business. Disappointed buyers will leave a negative feedback that will damage your seller reputation, and if you are serious about making money online selling on auction websites this you must avoid at all cost. You should also fully disclose every information concerning shipping costs and arrangements. You must be honest about how much it will cost the buyers to have the items they purchased delivered to them so they may make the decision should they place their bid on don’t. If a buyer ends up paying a $20 shipping cost for an item worth $5 than they will be disappointed and leave negative feedback which in the long run can ruin your reputation and online business.