Freelance writers can make money online working on freelance writing jobs offered by clients on numerous websites. There is a large number of writers making a full time or part time income this way. However not all freelance writers are equally successful and earn same amount of money. Aside from necessary skills to write well, ability to write fast is also necessary to earn decent amount of money. Because on the end of the day you will get paid base on how much work you will do. If you could finish twice the amount of work in the same time period, then you could earn twice more money.
Here are some tips to help freelance writers to write more and earn more:
- Be prepared. Success requires preparation. Before sitting down and start writing have all thing s ready. Have ideas about what to write written down, a supple a coffee if that helps you out or even a snack if you get hungry while you are working. Each of this things can save you at least several minutes from your work hours which you can use more productively.
- Don’t get distracted. The greatest productivity killers are various distractions. It can happen to anyone while sitting in front of computer and writing to have his attention shift to Twitter, Facebook news websites or other websites where he likes to spend his free time. Writers should limit the time they devote to distractions to few minutes at most if they can’t can deal with them completely during working hours.
- Don’t be a perfectionist. Most writers like to write perfect article and do thorough research which in most cases is more than necessary. They also tend to struggle and lose time and energy to use fancy words and write lengthy articles. This can be time consuming and in most of the times unnecessary because short, simple, to the point articles that are written in terms that are understandable to the general public are the best and all that is necessary for a job well done.
- Finish the work before the deadline. One of the ways to motivate yourself to write faster is to set the time for finishing the work some time before the deadline set by the clients. This way you will create more time to take on other assignments and get more work done.
- Write a draft and revise it later. When you first start writing instead of constantly writing and revising every sentence and every paragraph make a draft. After that take a few minutes off and get back to it and revise it where you see it’s necessary. It’s important to keep your ideas flowing and don’t stop once you start writing.
- Divide the work into several smaller tasks. A good idea is to divide your work into several smaller pieces. This way you can handle the writing job easier if you focus on writing one paragraph at a time.
- Increase your typing speed. Inspiration and creativity is important for freelance writers but then again a writer that can type 60 words per minute will work faster that a writer that can type 20 or 30 words per minute. If you are not a fast typer there are many courses and programs online where you can develop your skills like Typingweb or LearnTyping
- Get some rest. Writers just like any other can not work well enough and fast enough if he is tired. People usually need about 8 hours of sleep every day. You can also set aside half a hour for a nap every afternoon.
- Discover your most productive time of day. Some people work best in the morning while others in the evenings. See which is your best time when you work the most and set your work hours then.
- Use a clock or a timer. By having a clock or timer to measure your working hours can help you stay focused on the job at hand. Set a timer for 30 or 60 minutes during which you can focus completely on your project. After every period of work set aside a 5 or 10 minute period for rest.